Thursday 21 August 2008

KEEP ON READING

20.Read & list 50 books....in progress 15/50

More books to add. At last I got round to reading classic tale 'Kidnapped' by Scots writer Robert Louis Stevenson. Set in 1751, the story is of a young man David Balfour, who has recently lost his parents and is sent out into the world (beyond his native Edinburgh) to seek his 'kinfolk'. His uncle tricks him not only of his rightful inheritance but his freedom as he is scuttled aboard a ship bound for Carolina. Events onboard find him saving the life of wanted Highlander Alan Breck who is in his debt and agrees to help Balfour return home and gain his birthright.

Although I prefer modern fiction I enjoyed this book. I was especially encaptured as part of the story is set at South Queensferry, not far from where I stay. The Hawes Inn mentioned is an actual pub which still stands today and to which I visited last year when Gavin did his abseil from the Forth Rail Bridge just opposite. Its strange to imagine both Forth bridges did not exist when this novel was written.

The second book is Janet Street Porters 'Fallout: A Memoir Of Friends Made And Lost' a follow up to her previous autobiographical 'Baggage'. All I have to say is this book is great, I love this woman. She is witty and unashamadly candid. If I were to ever write a book I wish it too be half as brilliant as her work.

No comments: