Monday 28 January 2008

Words On Words

20.Read & list 50 books.... IN PROGRESS 5/50
'The Friday Night Knitting Club' by Kate Jacobs is one of the many books I was lucky enough to receive for Christmas. As a single mum in her late 30s, Georgia Walker has her hands full juggling the demands of running the Walker & Daughter knitting store with the challenges of raising her lively teen daughter, Dakota. Georgia’s regular customers gather once a week to work on their latest projects and chat – and occasionally clash – about love, life, and everything else. The members of the Friday Night Knitting Club are as varied as the skeins of yarn. And when the unthinkable happens, all of Georgia’s customers are forced to realize they’ve created not just a knitting club, but a sisterhood. Yes..its a chick book, very Americanised (is that a word?) and my enthusiasm for the characters hit peaks and troughs but not a bad read all in all. Think 'Steel Magnolias' in a knitting shop and only read if that's your kinda thing. I still prefer factual books to novels these days though.

Which leads me on to the second book...Between the Lines/My Story Uncut By Jason Donovan. His biography is a brave effort I feel not just because it is self penned (let's just say he is perhaps not a natural author) but because it does come across as very honest and heartfelt. Rather than just blah blahing on about his career as many of these C list celeb bios do, he has given the reader not just the behind the scenes view but a candid account of his innermost feelings at the various stages of his life. He makes no apology for his cocaine addicted days but nor does he condone it but merely explains it as it was at that time. It was a quick read but I did enjoy it having been a 12 yr old at the height of the 'Charlene & Scott' popularity he shared with his then real-life girlfriend Kylie Minogue.


4.Get a cheesy celeb autograph...COMPLETED
Although I did not get receive this from Jason Donovan in the flesh...my other half ordered me the signed copy of the aforementioned biography so I am counting this item as done!!

3 comments:

TartanWonder said...

Thank heavens you're posting again, Louise! I was beginning to think you'd gone up there (Heaven) to give the angels a lesson in how to be good and gracious!!
Your other half certainly knows how to treat you, as that autograph shows - good on him!
For your info - and to interest others in looking at my blog at http://davidslisttodo.blogspot.com/ - I've received an encouraging email from a British caravanning association. I'd asked for help in getting free or discounted camping sites during our charity walk around Britain, and the reply is asking for detailed information. Looks like I may be successful here. Cross your fingers, your eyes, and anything else you can cross, for luck for us!

Lots of Love,
David.

Littlelou said...

My comment ( if you can post it for others to see do so please) is:-



I've said it before and I'll say it again

YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO THE REST OF US!

Go for it Little Lou

Lots of love

Sandra xxx

TartanWonder said...

Hey, Sandra,

Ain't that the truth, though?

Louise is truly one of a kind!