Saturday 20 September 2008

BOOKS..A TRIPLE DOSE

20.Read & list 50 books...IN PROGRESS 18/50


Okay, I have read more books and these three could not be more different from each other.
The first book 'To The Lighthouse' by Virginia Woolf I chose because I have never read any of her work before. I can be quite literary minded when I want to be, I loved English classes at school..reading D.H Lawrence and disecting Shakespeare. This book however, I didn't enjoy at all. Maybe I missed something? I found it a bore.
The second book 'Tears Before Bedtime' is Tom Wilson's story written by ghostwriter Andrew Crofts. Wilson grew up in various children's homes and suffered from sexual abuse at the hands of one of his carers. Affecting his life into adulthood Wilson did not speak up until 40 years later when he realised he was not paedophile David Murphy's only victim.
After the affect and sucess of David Pelzers self penned biography of an abusive childhood Crofts has ghostwritten for many such 'victims' who want to at last share their stories but perhaps do not have the ability to do so alone.
What shook me about Tom Wilson's story above similar books I have read is that Wilson is from Kirkcaldy where I now stay and all the homes he was in were in towns nearby. It makes it all the more real to me and reminds me that you can never be sure of what is going on behind closed doors even in your own neighbourhood.
My third read, 'Fanny Hill' by John Cleland is the tale of the title character's life of vice. An 18th Century Belle De Jour perhaps? This book was banned for nearly 200 years due to its risque content and all that makes it different from todays gratuitous paperbacks is the 1700 writing style and use of language. A well written grubby book, haha.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting book choices. I haven't read any of Virginia Wolf's books either. I'm currently working my way through the classics.

Christy said...

the Virginia Woolf book is also on my reading list. I'll probably put it off til last.