Monday 3 March 2008

Booky Wookys

20.Read & list 50 books.... IN PROGRESS 8/50
If nothing else I have kept up with my reading and have two wonderfully colourful autobiographies to add to my books read (and books most definately recommended!). The first is a book I have coveted for a while and came to me as a Valentine's Day gift from my other half. Stand up comedian Russell Brand's 'My Booky Wook' was fab. I don't have the words in me to fully describe my feelings for this flamboyant, eloquent, Cockney eccentric. He truely facinates me..he's the kind of guy you either love or hate. The book tells of his 'normal' childhood, his heroin addiction,how he camped it up 'to attract the laidies' and then went on to be crowned 'Shagger Of The Year'. His writings begin and end with him in rehab being treated for sex addiction. Funny and shocking but not as gratuitous as you'd expect. Read it.

In Janet Street-Porter's 'Baggage: My Childhood' the newspaper editor and TV producer begins with the story of how her parents met during WW2 and instantly fell in love. The problem being both were married to other people at the time. Her father got a divorce but her mother could not and the new couple were forced to conceal this scandelous secret as they pretended to live as man and wife for years with their 2 daughters. It may seem like no big deal in today's Jeremy Kyle society but this was the 1940's were social standards were still in place. Janet's childhood was neither tragic or idyllic and most of it she decribes as a bore..but her writing style is far from that. Her teenage years where she longed for independance and quenched her thirst for learning and loving in 1960's swinging London. Another great book. It has too be said well written autobiographies far out weigh a normal biography because in a self penned book you can hear the famous celebrity writer speak as you read. A joy!
Thanks to Christy and Tartan Wonder for their kind words of encouragement. Hopefully my 101 List mojo is on it's way back! Watch this space!





1 comment:

TartanWonder said...

I'm watching this space, just as instructed!

I'm watching !!